Match Reports‎ > ‎

Brave effort falls short

posted 19 Dec 2010, 03:26 by Unknown user

1st October 2006 County Junior Football Championship Quarter-Final

Milford 1-8 Ballybricken 0-15

Milford GAA club took another historic step forward this past Saturday, when the junior footballers travelled to Fedamore to compete in the county stages of the Junior A championship for the very first time. Facing them in the quarter-final tie were a highly fancied Ballybricken side, who were fresh from winning the East Division title the previous weekend. Although this was a first ever championship meeting for the two sides, they had clashed in the County League in past years and so were no strangers to each other.

Milford were backed by a stiff breeze in the first half and it was clear that a healthy lead at half-time would be needed. However, it was Ballybricken who looked the sharper outfit in the opening minutes and they took the lead with a point from play. Milford equalised through a Luke McGinty free, and the sides then traded further points (Luke McGinty again on target from a placed ball for the Roselawn men). A very tight first quarter ended with another exchange of points, Darren Hyland recording Milford’s score (0-3 to 0-3). The remainder of the half belonged to Milford, who, having taken control around the middle of the field, finally hit the front through a John Morrissey point. When the same player finished a flowing forward move by coolly slipping a low shot to the net, Ballybricken found themselves four points in arrears. The eastern side quickly replied with their fourth point but Ger Collins and Luke McGinty (his third free) extended the Milford lead to five points at the break.

HT: Milford 1-6 Ballybricken 0-4

Facing into the ever strengthening wind, Milford were immediately on the back foot as Ballybricken, benefiting from some half time changes, totally dominated the third quarter. The city side’s five point lead was wiped out within 10 minutes of the restart as Ballybricken kicked a series of points from play and frees. When the Caherelly men then moved three points ahead (1-6 to 0-12), it looked as though a runaway win was on the cards. However, showing the spirit that had backboned their season, Milford battled their way back into contention, in the process breaking Ballybricken’s second half stranglehold at midfield. Luke McGinty (free) and Ger Collins notched two of the next three points, to reduce the gap to just two inside the final ten minutes. The East champions showed their mettle in the last period though, pulling clear with two more points, while limiting Milford to half-chances.

Team and Scorers:

Kevin Keenan; Ollie McGarr; Ronan Grimes; Eamonn Hawe; Alan Hayes; John Daly; Neil Clancy; Barry Ryan; Darragh Murphy; Ger Collins (0-2); John Morrissey (1-1); Shane Galvin; Luke McGinty (0-4fs); John Collins; Darren Hyland (0-1)


PJ Byrne (for Eamonn Hawe); Liam O’Meara (for Darragh Murphy); Mike Doyle; Mark Conway; Colm Cunneen; Joe Redington

This defeat ends the footballers’ season after what has been a momentous year. While the silverware of last year was not repeated, the team has still taken several steps forward in proving itself more than capable of competing at Junior A level, both in the city division and beyond. Additionally, as with the hurlers, this year saw a number of the minor team coming through to cement places in the starting XV, and the youthful look to the side during the championship bodes well for seasons to come.

Major thanks must go to manager/trainer Joe Redington and selector/secretary John Redington for their efforts throughout the year.