Match Reports‎ > ‎

City Final Disappointment

posted 19 Dec 2010, 03:25 by Unknown user

23rd September 2006, City Junior Football Championship Final

Milford 0-5 Na Piarsaigh 1-11

Milford and Na Piarsaigh met this past Saturday in the final of the City Junior A Football Championship. St Patrick’s, Rhebogue was the venue for a clash that brought together the two sides who had also met in the championship opener, back in July. On that occasion, Milford edged home by two points in a high scoring encounter and another close battle was expected this time around.

Pitch conditions were heavy and as a result, the ball was greasy and difficult to handle throughout, as some of the scrappier passages of play would bear testament to. However, given the poor weather of the preceding days, it must be said that the field held up quite well for the hour’s play. Milford began defending the riverside goal and facing into a slight breeze. The initial exchanges were quite even, with a lot of play around the middle of the field, as both sides struggled to put together attacking moves of substance. Na Piarsaigh were first to score, but Milford equalised shortly after with a free from John Collins. Chances came and went at both ends in the following minutes, but it was Na Piarsaigh who were next to add to their tally, with two points in quick succession (0-1 to 0-3). Milford proceeded to enjoy their best spell of the half, but spurned a number of kickable chances, both from play and frees. Na Piarsaigh finished the half the stronger, adding a point and forcing Milford 'keeper Kevin Keenan into the action on more than one occasion.

HT: Milford 0-1 Na Piarsaigh 0-4

Milford opened the second half much the brighter side and reduced their deficit to just a point, courtesy of a John Collins free and Luke McGinty’s well-struck ‘45’. Na Piarsaigh responded with a point of their own, but another excellent long distance effort from Luke McGinty, this time a free, narrowed the gap to the minimum once more (0-4 to 0-5). With scores so hard to come by, the first goal was always likely to be crucial. And so it proved, when, having just extended their lead to two with their sixth point of the game, Na Piarsaigh cut through the Milford rearguard, allowing their wing forward to rattle the net. From this point on, Milford were always struggling. Ger Collins did reply with a quick point, his side’s first from play, but the Caherdavin men regained control and, as the Milford challenged wilted, were able to string together some good scores, which put the result beyond doubt.

Team and Scorers:

Kevin Keenan; Ollie McGarr; Ronan Grimes; Eamonn Hawe; Alan Hayes; John Daly; Neil Clancy; John Morrissey; Darragh Murphy; Shane Galvin; Barry Ryan; Ger Collins (0-1); Luke McGinty (0-2, 1f, 1 ’45’); John Collins (0-2f); Darren Hyland

Sub: PJ Byrne for Luke McGinty

Next on the bill is a County Quarter Final clash with Ballybricken, winners of the East Junior A title, in Fedamore on Sunday, the 1st of October. Throw-in is 2.30 pm.