Match Reports‎ > ‎

Match lost, but progress made

posted 19 Dec 2010, 03:17 by Unknown user

19th August 2006, City Junior B Hurling Championship

Pallaskenry 1-18 Milford 2-4

Milford made the longest trip in the City Division when they travelled to Pallaskenry on Saturday, August 19th. This game, the last for each side in the group stage of the City Junior B Hurling Championship, would decide which team would enter the knockout stages as group winners, as both had won their previous two matches.

Milford hurled with the aid of a stiff breeze in the first half, and the opening minutes of the game were tightly contested. Pallaskenry were first to score, but Milford quickly replied with the first of Luke McGinty's pointed frees. However, the home side dominated the middle period of the half and added a string of points, with McGinty providing Milford's only scores in response. Crucially, Milford spurned a couple of good goal chances toward the end of the half, and Pallaskenry finished strongly to end the half seven points ahead.

HT: Pallaskenry 0-11 Milford 0-4

After a rousing team talk during the interval, Milford stormed back into contention with two goals in the opening six minutes of the second half. The first was created by half time sub Walter Foley and well finished by Luke McGinty, and Foley himself netted the second, after good work by Eamonn Hawe. Now only a point down, Milford tried to press on, but missed a number of scoring opportunities in the following ten minutes. Gradually, Pallaskenry regained their composure and edged clear again with a succession of points from play and placed balls. Shortly before full-time, the hosts goaled from close range to kill off any lingering Milford hopes.

FT: Pallaskenry 1-18 Milford 2-4

Team and Scorers:

Eoin O'Leidhin; Paul Dillon; Brendan Kennedy; Mike Doyle; Alan Hayes; John Morrissey; Ollie McGarr; Neil Clancy; Eamonn Hawe; Brendan O'Sullivan; Liam O'Meara; Martin Leyden; Mark Conway; Fergal O'Brien; Luke McGinty (1-4, 0-4f)

Subs: Walter Foley (1-0); Joe Redington; Jim Mulrooney; Kevin Keenan

As a result, Milford finished as group runners-up and will now play Mungret in the City semi-final.