Match Reports‎ > ‎

Milford progress to first JA Final

posted 19 Dec 2010, 03:22 by Unknown user

9th September 2006, City Junior Football Championship Semi-Final

Milford 3-10 Monaleen 2-6

Milford took on near neighbours Monaleen in the second semi-final of the City Junior A Football Championship on Saturday, the 9th of September. The game was played at GAA grounds of the St. Patrick's club in Rhebogue, with Na Piarsaigh (victors over Ballybrown in the other semi-final) awaiting the winners. The two teams had already met twice during the year, once in the City Junior Football League and once in the round-robin stage of the championship, with the sides each recording a victory.

Monaleen had the advantage of a stiff breeze as they attacked the riverside goal in the first half, yet they struggled to create chances in the early stages of the half. Milford opened the scoring through a Ger Collins point, but Monaleen quickly replied in kind. Milford were rocked after ten minutes, when a fast breakout from defence created the space for a Monaleen forward to fire to the net from close range. Luke McGinty kept his side in touch with two excellent long-range points from placed balls, while Monaleen tagged on a point of their own to put two between the sides (0-3 to 1-2). Milford then struck for a goal of their own, Darren Hyland finishing expertly, having been put through by Ger Collins. The following ten minutes were dominated by the men from Roselawn, with the pace of their forward line causing Monaleen all sorts of problems. Three more points followed, two from McGinty (one free) and another from Ger Collins, who latched onto the rebound after Barry Ryan had struck the post with a low shot. Credit to Monaleen though, as they finished the half strongly, reducing the gap to a point and being narrowly denied a goal by a fine save from Milford goalkeeper Kevin Keenan.

HT: Milford 1-6 Monaleen 1-5

Facing into the wind a point behind, Monaleen got exactly the start they required with a goal after a scramble in front of the Milford posts. This shook Milford and they took some time to recover, Ger Collins eventually halving the deficit with a point. As in the first half, the pace of Milford's attackers created gaps in the Monaleen rearguard on a number of occasions and, shortly after Ger Collins had struck the crossbar with a rasping drive, Darren Hyland regained the lead for his side with his second goal, drilling home from the edge of the small square (2-7 to 2-5). A number of other goal chances came and went for a now dominant Milford, although they did manage to stretch their lead to five, courtesy of points by John Collins (free) and Shane Galvin, which sandwiched an inspirational effort from tireless midfielder John Morrissey. Monaleen attempted to rally and pulled back a point, their first score since the early minutes of the half, but the contest was ended when Ger Collins ran on to a through ball and deftly palmed the ball over the advancing goalkeeper for Milford's third goal.

FT: Milford 3-10 Monaleen 2-6

Team and Scorers

Kevin Keenan; Ollie McGarr; Ronan Grimes; Eamonn Hawe; Alan Hayes; ; John Daly; Neil Clancy; John Morrissey (0-1); Darragh Murphy; Ger Collins (1-3); Barry Ryan; Shane Galvin (0-1); Luke McGinty (0-4, 2f, 1 '45'); Darren Hyland (2-0); John Collins (0-1f)

Subs: PJ Byrne (for McGinty, inj); Cathal Geraghty (for J. Collins, inj)

Milford now face Na Piarsaigh in the city final, date and venue to be confirmed.