Match Reports‎ > ‎

Mungret topple Milford

posted 19 Dec 2010, 02:32 by Unknown user

City Junior B Football final, 16/9/03

Mungret 2-13 Milford 1-7

Séamus Hayes’s second goal, eight minutes from the end of last evening’s final, returned the Eamon Cosgrave Cup for the City junior B football championship to Mungret after an absence of five years. Collecting the ball on the overlap in a break from a long spell of pressure and flicking over the advancing Kevin Keenan, he broke the back of Milford’s revival and allowed his side to pick off the closing scores for a deserved if flattering victory.

Although the winners hit nineteen wides on the night and could have had the result tied up earlier had they taken their chances, it was only in the closing minutes that they were able to shake of opponents who were appearing in their first ever final just eighteen months after entering adult competition.

Mungret were off the mark within a minute through Paul McGrath but, despite wind advantage, failed to build on early dominance and missed a number of easy chances. Milford settled to take the lead by the quarter mark through Cathal Geraghty and Tony Connolly’s free but, following John van Veen’s equaliser, Hayes’s mishit shot curled into the corner of Keenan’s net and Michael South added a free immediately afterwards.

Milford kept in touch through a pair of Connolly frees before McGrath’s looping shot from the left sideline brought Mungret’s half-time lead to 1-4 to 0-4.

Mark Tobin from a free and from play, Barry O Grady and South widened the gap quickly after the break but Connolly’s free broke the sequence and Geraghty’s volleyed goal from Enda Colleran’s break brought Milford back into contention. Piling forward, they were caught on the break by a Hayes point but Connolly’s fifth free brought the margin back to three points.

South replied with a free just before Hayes’s second goal and points from Tobin and John Horgan’s free tied up the result before PJ Byrne and Tobin exchanged scores in injury time.

Mungret: D Nolan; B O’Grady (0-1), D O’Connor, D Creed; N Collins, L O’Connell, J van Veen (0-1); C Moriarty, D O’Donovan; A O’Mahony, M Tobin (0-4), M South (0-3); P McGrath (0-2), S Hayes (2-1), M Dalton. Subs: E Mullin for D O’Donovan, J Healy for M Dalton, J Malone for A O’Mahony, B O’Mahony for D Creed, J Horgan (0-1) for J Healy.

Milford: K Keenan; S Walsh, J Redington, J Robinson; T Connolly (0-5), J Daly, E Walsh; B Ryan, F Healy; O McGarr, L Dolan, S Marrinan; PJ Byrne (0-1), E Colleran, C Geraghty (1-1). Subs: R Grimes for L Dolan, C Cunneen for F Healy, I Hartnett for O McGarr.

Referee: J Kearney (Roscommon Gaels).